Tucked and rolled into the hills of Lake Sam Rayburn lies a diamond in the rough that has recently been polished to new life by the Russell Design Group. The golf course features 150 feet of elevation into the tall stately pines of East Texas with new greens, tees, bunkers and manicured fairways for golfers of all levels. Treat yourself to an affordable round of golf that will make memories and hopefully a few birdies. Click Here for more info!
The museum is made possible through the generosity of Mr. Albert “Al” Smith, in remembrance of his deceased wife, Patricia Huffman Smith and many other generous donations.
It tells the story of space exploration from the first mission of the Columbia to its last mission, STS-107. It also reveals the efforts of local citizens during the recovery of Space Shuttle Columbia, STS-107 and its Crew. An area is dedicated to each crewmember that was lost in the tragedy, including the Texas Forest Service employee and the helicopter pilot who lost their lives during the recovery effort. The families of the crew have contributed personal items belonging to their loved ones to be on permanent display. The museum houses many items and artifacts from NASA and its contractors, the families of STS-107, as well as from other individuals.
The museum will feature two simulator interactive devices that emulate activities of the shuttle and orbiter. A planned classroom/digital learning center will provide an excellent opportunity for the advancement of education for people of all ages. Click Here for more info!
Used as Sabine County’s jail until 1983, the old jail house located on the square of Hemphill offers much history. The building is now known as the Sabine County Jail Museum and Virgie Speights Memorial Library. The facility has been under the direction of the Sabine County Historical Commission since 1987.
Built in 1903 at a cost of $8,800 the jail not only housed Sabine County prisoners, but the facility also held prisoners from other counties that either didn’t have a jail or had a full house.
There were two hangings at the jail – the first in 1909. The first hanging was a public event and was held outside the jail even though the jail is outfitted with a hangman’s noose and trapdoor inside. The museum houses a piece of rope used in the first hanging. Click Here for more info!
Designated as a National Historic Trail in 2004, the “El Camino Real de Los Tejas” has existed for more than 300 years. Marked by the Spaniards and the French, the trail was followed by such men as Moses Austin and his son, Stephen Fuller Austin (The Father of Texas), Jim Bowie, Davy Crockett, Sam Houston, and early missionaries of multiple faiths. Click Here for more info!
Man came to the area now known as the Angelina National Forest around 8,000 years ago. Archeological sites have been located as part of the U.S. Forest Service’s cultural resource inventory in addition to those resources located and excavated prior to the construction of Lake Sam Rayburn Reservoir. These sites document the evidence of man’s presence over the entire period since then.
One of Angelina County’s original settlers, John H. Graham, lies buried in a small cemetery overlooking the creek which bears his name in the southwestern part of the forest. His name and birthdate may still be seen on his grave marker.
Of more recent setting is the old Aldridge Sawmill site near the terminus of a spur of the Sawmill Hiking Trail near the Neches River south of the Boykin Springs Recreation Area. Hand-poured concrete structures remain, rapidly deteriorating under the onslaught of vandalism and the advancing forest cover, and these stand as mute testimony to the aspirations and dreams of turn-of-the-century timber barons. Click Here for more info!